Meta CEO and Chairman Mark Zuckerberg arrives at Los Angeles Superior Court ahead of the social media trial tasked to determine whether social media giants deliberately designed their platforms to be addictive to children, in Los Angeles, on Feb. 18, 2026.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg said to a courtroom on Wednesday that some users lie about their age when signing up for Instagram.
The comments responded to questions about documents from previous testimony before Congress, which stated that 4 million kids under 13 used the platform in the U.S.
Zuckerberg said that the company removes all underage users identified and includes terms about age usage during the sign up process.
"You expect a 9 year old to read all of the fine print," a lawyer for the plaintiff questioned. "That's your basis for swearing under oath that children under 13 are not allowed?"
The comments came during testimony in a landmark trial about social media and safety that's being likened to the industry's "Big Tobacco" moment.
Lawyers on Wednesday also questioned whether Zuckerberg previously lied about the board's inability to fire him in a courtroom on Wednesday.
If the board wants to fire me, I could elect a new board and reinstate myself," he said, in response to remarks he previously made on Joe Rogan's podcast.
During his interview with the podcaster last year, Zuckerberg had said he wasn't worried about losing his job because he holds voting power.
He also said on Wednesday that he is "very bad" at media.
... continue reading